
Warning: I dork out about running, so this is a monster post about my running. If you're already annoyed and rolling your eyes, then don't continue reading. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)
I mentioned a few posts ago that I was considering running a full marathon in April. I have continued training and things are looking good...meaning I'm still in one piece and nothing is injured. HALLELUJAH for that! I am, however, beginning to believe that I am BAD LUCK. My running partner, Melissa, is having issues with her shin. I am praying she can still do the race. This is the 3rd time one of my partners have hurt themselves while training for a race with me, and that's the reason that I kinda think I may be bad luck. If so, I'm SORRY! Thankfully Liz is still hanging in there and is looking like she'll make a new PR at this race.
Ok, about my training for this race. Last week I was SICK with strep throat. THAT WAS FUN! Obviously I was in no condition to run, so I rested. After 6 days of NOT running I couldn't take it anymore. So, I decided to do a long run as scheduled.
I remember a few years back the first time I ran SIX miles with my friend, Shawna, I was pumped! I couldn't believe we had ran SIX miles! That was HUGE for me then, and I remember thinking over and over to myself, "I could have ran from my house to the airport!" Ever since then when I'm driving places I pay attention to how far I've driven, and I think, "I've ran this far before. I could have run here." The farthest drive I do on a weekly basis is to my in-laws house which is 22 miles away according to map quest. I have always wondered if I could make it out to H-town by foot. I just never thought I'd really ever attempt it..until now.
Back to my long run. After a week of rest it was time to run. I was needing to do 20 miles to stick to my training program. I called my friend who bikes/runs/swims a lot and asked him if there was a safe route from my place to H-town. He said, "oh yeah, that's very do-able!" I got excited thinking that I may actually run THAT FAR. I've driven it a million times, so I was very aware of the distance. Before I could chicken out I ate 2 packets of instant oatmeal and a banana. I downed a bottle of water with breakfast, grabbed one for the road, and then told Bobby to stay by his phone, because I'd be calling him to pick me up when I couldn't run anymore. First I headed south on rainbow, then went east on Blue Diamond and stayed on it until it turned into Windmill. At windmill and the 215(mile 9) I stopped at a convenient store for a vitamin water, then I jumped on a bike trail that would take me the rest of the way. I texted Bobby at mile 9, 13, and 17 to let him know I was still alive. I felt better and better the further I went. I kept thinking things like, "holy cow, I'm passing GVR, OMG I'm at Stephanie..this is CRAZY!" It kept me motivated. The course was AMAZING. It was mostly flat or downhill which was nice. Bobby called me when I was at mile 19.5 and he wanted to pick me up. I told him to meet me at a place real close to his parents' house that would put me right at 22 miles. I couldn't believe I felt so good. I did 22 miles!! Bobby kept telling me that he was proud of me, and I thought that was sweet of him.
This was BY FAR the BEST run of my life! It topped all the races I've done. I am excited for the race, but I already feel like I've accomplished something I thought was beyond my capabilities. I feel proud.
So, for you Vegas folks who know your way around, I ran from Buffalo/215 to Wagon Wheel/95. It took me 3:21.
5 comments:
That is CRAZY! WOW! I think it is great that you have such a determination to keep challenging yourself. I wish I had half of your motivation. You go girl!!!!!
Dude girl you are INSANE...in such a good way! Now my meager 12 miler in the morning doesn't seem all that spectacular. I have been sick too and it really messes up the training. So lame. Good work and I love reading others' running journals. So from one running dork to the next, keep it up!
You are AMAZING!!! How Exciting!!! Nice work mama!
holy S**t girl! That is freaking awesome! YOU ROCK!
You will blow this race out of the water! Watch out SLC- Jessi is coming and in full force!! hahaha
girl power!
I am still amazed that you took that on all by yourself!! I always love when you write this down because it keeps me motivated. I just think to myself, all I have to do is half of what she is doing! lol!! Great job again!!
Post a Comment